If you suffer from frequent headaches, facial pain, worn teeth or difficulty chewing, you may have a temporomandibular disorder (TMD), also known as “TMJ”. Often the result of an imbalance in the bite, TMJ can result in painful symptoms and compromise overall oral health.
Drs. Monroe and Monroe have training in the diagnosis of bite disorders such as TMJ and offer a variety of options for treating the underlying cause and helping patients improve their oral health.
Symptoms of TMJ
Common signs and symptoms of a TMD can include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, often characterized by tooth wear
- Neck and/or shoulder pain
- Limited mobility in the jaw
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing jaw
TMJ Treatment Pinehurst
Drs. Monroe and Monroe will thoroughly evaluate your dental health, including the jaw joints and bite, before recommending a plan of treatment to address an imbalance, tooth damage or painful symptoms. Treatment may include:
- Occlusal equilibration, making changes to the fit of the bite by reshaping and/or removing tooth structure
- Splint therapy
- TMJ mouthguard
Depending on the severity of your symptoms or tooth damage, a combination of the above treatment options may be necessary to restore overall dental health and a comfortable, functional smile.