It starts with some aches, maybe a sneeze, and then you have the flu. Flu season is upon us and with our busy schedules, no one has the time to spend sick on the couch. Pinehurst NC dentists Dr. Clement and Dr. Kamron Monroe encourage patients to practice diligent oral hygiene this flu season. Our mouths are the main entry point to our bodies, and often the gateway for the flu. Follow some of these tips for a healthier winter for you and your whole family.
Beat The Flu With Oral Hygiene
- Stay hydrated. Many cold medications can cause dry mouth, which may lead to increased development of cavities. Make sure you drink plenty of water and try to avoid soda or sugary fruit drinks.
- Throat lozenges can also help stimulate saliva production to reduce the effects of dry mouth. Try to find sugar free lozenge options to help avoid plaque build up.
- After you throw up try to just swish and spit some water or diluted mouthwash to clean out your mouth.
- Brushing your teeth right after throwing up may increase the risk of stomach acid eroding your tooth enamel. Wait a half hour after vomiting to brush your teeth to avoid further damage.
- Always cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing and then wash your hands to avoid spreading germs to others
- Try to maintain your normal oral hygiene routine. Brush twice a day and floss once for optimal oral health.
- Brushing and flossing can help to make you feel a little more lively and will keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- You may consider replacing your toothbrush after you begin to feel better to avoid the spread of germs.
- Never, ever share your toothbrush with anyone!
Schedule An Appointment
Family dentists Drs. Monroe & Monroe offer a one stop dental experience for your entire family. Schedule your regular dentist visits this winter for a professional dental cleaning for a fresh and healthy smile. Through a conservative dental treatment plan Drs. Monroe & Monroe will help to you maintain your healthy smile so you can enjoy your best oral health. Schedule a visit to our Pinehurst, NC dentist office to find out more ways to stay healthy through proper oral care.