Most patients do not think to call our Pinehurst dentist office if they are suffering with frequent headaches, but this can often be a symptom of a temporomandibular disorder (TMD) that can be addressed by Dr. Clement Monroe or Dr. Kamron Monroe.
Headaches and Dentistry
Frequent headaches can be the result of an imbalance in the bite which puts pressure on the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Often called TMJ, the imbalance can lead to many uncomfortable symptoms, including headaches, especially in the morning. In many cases, patients are grinding their teeth during sleep because of the imbalance, a common source of what is known as TMJ headaches.
Other signs that could indicate TMJ headaches are:
- Facial pain (often in the temporal region or sides of face)
- Pain in the neck and/or older shoulders
- Migraine, or migraine like headaches
- Earache or feeling of fullness in the ears
Headache Therapy Pinehurst NC
Dr. Clement Monroe and Dr. Kamron Monroe will perform a thorough exam, evaluate your dental health and discuss your symptoms and other concerns before recommending appropriate treatment. Addressing the underlying cause of the TMD is important for lasting, comfortable results.
Treatment for TMJ related headaches may include:
- TMJ Mouthguard – A custom removable appliance that is worn during sleep. The purpose of this treatment is to reduce or prevent teeth grinding and clenching and therefore reduce the occurrence of morning headaches.
- Bite Correction – Drs. Monroe can solve an imbalance in the bite through a series of adjustments, bringing the teeth into proper alignment. This type of treatment may include reshaping the teeth, orthodontics, and restorative dentistry
A comfortable, functional bite is an important part of your daily quality of life. If you are suffering with any symptoms of a bite disorder, or TMJ, schedule an appointment with Dr. Clement or Dr. Kamron Monroe in their Pinehurst dentist office.